- Help & More
- > Tools
- > Tips & Tools
- > My House
- > Toolkit
Here are some tips to keep in mind when shopping for a mortgage.
Mortgage Shopping List
- Are the interest rates Opens a new window competitive?
- Does the mortgage have any prepayment penalties Opens a new window?
- Are the closing costs Opens a new window low?
- Will you have to pay private mortgage insurance (PMI) Opens a new window?
- Do you have to pay points to get a better rate?
- Is the application process quick and easy?
- Are preapproval Opens a new window costs low?
- Is the interest rate guaranteed for up to 60 days? Will it cost you fees? Points?
- Are there any application or origination fees Opens a new window?
This site is a great resource for information about interest rates and fees on bank accounts, mortgages, credit cards, and more.Capital One Solutions Finder Opens a new window
Use our Solutions Finder to see how much you can borrow now.Internal Revenue Service
Learn more about the tax benefits of home ownership on the IRS website. If you're a first-time homebuyer, check out IRS Publication 530, "Tax Information for First-Time Homeowners." Or, if you're selling, take a look at Publication 523, "Selling Your Home."Savvy Savings Tips
Our new and improved free Savvy Savings Tips are here! We're providing you easy to use savings ideas for around your home, on your mortgage and through investment opportunities in just one email. Sign up today.The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
The HUD website offers tools and resources for prospective homebuyers. They can also help you locate mortgage sources in your community.
Use our Solutions Finder Opens a new window to see how much you can save with a Capital One Home Loan.
Learn more about building – and protecting – your credit.
Talk to a Capital One Mortgage Savings Specialist today at 1-866-327-4599 from 8 AM to 8 PM.